Terms of Reference
|Assignment Title||Junior Communications Consultant|
|Organizational Unit||UN Women Rwanda|
|Duty Station, Country||Kigali, Rwanda|
|Expected Starting Date||Immediate|
|Duration of Consultancy||4 months|
I. UN Women Background:
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women Rwanda has been working with the Government, UN Partners, Civil Society, the Private Sector, Development Partners, and other key partners to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls in the country through its programmes.
The country focuses on three main priority/impact areas from UN Women Global Strategic Plan (2018-2021): namely, women lead, participate in, and benefit equally from governance systems (focusing on women’s leadership and representation in local governance and in the private sector)
Women have equal economic opportunities and economic autonomy (focusing on agriculture, entrepreneurship, employment, and ICT) and Women and girls live a life free from violence.
II.Description of Responsibilities:
Under direct supervision of the Communications and Knowledge Management Officer or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the Junior Communications Consultant will support the creation of digital content to increase awareness and ongoing initiatives of UN Women and its partners as well as key strategic events and global campaigns. He/she will support in documenting success stories of CO’s work for sharing with current and potential partners for partnership building and Resource Mobilization.
III. Functions and key results expected:
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of Communications and Knowledge Management Officer:
- The consultant will support to amplify and develop common messaging and UN Women’s global campaigns and provide support in developing promotional materials to showcase efforts of UN Women’s work to increase advocacy.
- Provide substantive research and support in producing communication briefs, talking points etc.
- Contribute to the planning and designing of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans.
- Manage CO’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy.
- Coordinate and provide videography and photography documentation of all UN Women initiatives/activities and manage the country office Flickr account.
- Photography of key events or activities of the UN Women is present/engaged.
- Provide substantive support to developing Country Office quarterly newsletter, reports, and briefs.
- Maintain the country office repository system that contains all publications by the Country office and IPs
- Contribute to the innovation portfolio of the Country Office.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
IV. Qualifications, skills, experience:
Qualifications/Requirements (including competencies, values, and skills):
Qualifications, skills, experience:
Degree level: Bachelor’s degree
Type of Degree: Digital Communications, Journalism, International Relations, or any other areas relevant.
Years of work experience: Minimum 3 years of experience
Area of expertise:
- Journalism, mass media, and broadcasting Mandatory,
- Knowledge of camera usage
- database management
- Skills in social media management and content creation
- Use of digital tools (Flickr, Twitter, YouTube, Teams, zoom)
- Writing and developing reports
- Documentation of success and impact stories
Fluency in English is required
Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset
Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, Adobe tools etc.) and email/internet.
- Is Ability to perform a broad range of specialized activities aimed at effective and efficient functioning of the Programme unit including logistical support.
- Ability to provide input to business process re-engineering, elaboration, and implementation of new data management systems.
- Creates, edits, and presents information in clear and presentable formats, using appropriate IT functionality.
- Advanced knowledge of ICT and familiarity with relevant media software up to date with photography and videography
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to establish, build and sustain effective relationships with Implementing Partners.
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondences and reports information and workflow.
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work
- Cultural Sensitivity and Valuing Diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and can take initiative
- Work in a team: Demonstrate the ability to work in a multicultural, multiethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage effective open communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
Time and Workload Management: Able to manage a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
VI.Conditions of Service
The contract lasts for the period indicated above with possibility of extensions subject to availability of funding, operational necessity, and satisfactory performance. However, there is no expectation of renewal of the assignment.
VII: Mode of application
All interested and qualified local consultants may submit their curriculum vitae to Rwanda.firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 19th Sept 2022 at 11:59 Kigali time. Only pre-selected candidates will be notified.
United Nations Women is an equal opportunity programme which welcomes applications from qualified professionals. We are committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture.