Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior PDMS Nurse
Duty Station: IOM Kigali, Rwanda
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G7 (UN salary Scale for GS staff)
Type of Appointment: One Year fixed term, Twelve (12) months with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date :22 September 2022
Reference Code :VN2022/13 – RW
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.|
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO); the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Kigali, Rwanda
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead daily nursing and administrative activities of the migration health assessment in the Migration Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the areas of:
- Medical examinations.
- Laboratory testing.
- TB management.
- Treatment and referrals.
- Pre-departure procedures and medical movements.
- Documentation, certification, and information transmission.
- Directly observed treatment/therapy short course (DOTs);
- Fitness-to-travel checks; and,
- Other technical areas as may be required.
- Supervise all daily nursing and administrative activities, namely:
- Assign tasks to nurses and clerks.
- Monitor pre-examination information sessions, counselling, history, follow up and vital signs taking; verify that nurses and medical clerks enter information into relevant databases in a timely and accurate manner, in accordance with their specific functions; and,
- Facilitate and monitor implementation of fraud-prevention measures, including testing performed outside of the MHAC.
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of an optimal workflow at the health assessment site by suggesting and implementing improvements to facilitate timeliness of completion of nursing and clerical tasks.
- Verify that all migrant/refugee identity check mechanisms are well established and followed.
- Implement quality assurance and quality control measures for nursing and clerical activities; participate in writing SOPs and instructions as well as staff training.
- Verify that SOP’s, checklists, and standard universal precautions within MHAC are followed.
- Check that the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits, and emergency kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable are well maintained according to guidelines and SOP’s.
- Coordinate, follow up and verify procurement for MHAC – including purchase orders, payment requests and invoices.
- Gather and analyse administrative reports and program updates as necessary; report any inconsistencies or issues to the CMHO or senior nurse.
- Coordinate the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
- Coordinate, and perform if needed, the medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the journey and at the final destination).
- Gather and analyse statistical information and share with the Chief Migration Health Nurse or CMHO as per pre-set and agreed upon format.
- Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM departments, other health providers, panel physicians, Embassies other UN agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
- May have responsibility for direct supervision of a designated team.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Nursing Degree with a minimum of five years relevant clinical experience, with at least two years in a supervisory role and a valid license to practice nursing in Rwanda
- Excellent technical skills, including in phlebotomy.
- Training or working experience in the areas of Tuberculosis management, mass immunizations, communicable diseases, laboratory testing or public health is an advantage. Computer literacy required: MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Access)
- Prepare the PDMS examination according to technical instructions
- Identify cases with SMC on ABN and advise on the need of 3 weeks reviews before departure for stabilisation.
- Identify cases with history of TB or abnormal CXR, and recheck for actives signs of Tuberculosis before departure
- Ensure completeness of laboratory testing required at PDMS according to reselect countries.
- Review the vaccinations certificates and ensure their completeness.
- Ensure that all TB cases have complete TB treatment before departure.
- Ensure DOT of presumptive treatment and surveillance is done on time and accurately.
- Coordinated Pre-departure procedures and medical movements coordination.
- Conduct the counselling for departures and cancelled cases and ensure their management and their rebooking on time.
- Monitor isolation and regular decontamination in the transit centre
- Documentation, certification and information transmission to partners and donors on a timely manner.
- Check for QC issues before submission and clearing cases
- Ensure pre-embarkation checks
- Other technical areas as may be required
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is an added value.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a completed Personnel History Form (please download and fill it) and an application letter (not more than one page)
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for recruitment process and subject to background checks.