National Tax Advisor for Macroeconomic and Investment Policies (MIP) Project
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years. The primary objectives of cooperation between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the following five areas: Training and Sustainable Growth for Decent Jobs; Peaceful and Inclusive Societies; Responsibility for our Planet – Climate and Energy; Digitalization and Digital Economy; and Regional Programs.
The Macroeconomic Investment Policies (MIP) project is a joint Rwandan-German Development Cooperation project implemented by GIZ, commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). It contributes to the overall objective of strengthening capacities of key government and academic actors in Rwanda to shape economic and investment policies geared to pro-poor growth. The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN) is MIP’s main counterpart.
GIZ-MIP is seeking highly qualified and motivated National Advisor (NA) to help advance capacity development on major tax reforms and tax analysis and contribute to other activities. The candidate should be a university graduate with strong analytical skills, and a self-motivated person with very high ethical standards who strongly believes in the developmental role of domestic revenue mobilization.
GIZ would like to recruit a National Tax Advisor for the Macroeconomic and Investment Policies (MIP) project.
Fixed Term: One year, with possible extension
The National Tax Advisor performs the following responsibilities and tasks:
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
- Contribute to activities that build capacity in tax policy preparation and monitoring of revenue performance and tax policy implementation.
- Help formulate and monitor operational plan and budget for capacity development in tax policy at MIP.
- Support the follow-up and implementation of Medium-Term Revenue Strategy (MTRS) and roadmap of reforms under MTRS.
- Support international tax policy experts under the MIP project in delivering their activities in training, development of tax analytical tools, and advice to MINECOFIN.
- Participate in various research and modeling activities: revenue forecasting, tax expenditure analysis, and tax incidence analysis using macro and micro data.
- Apply computer skills, especially Excel for data analysis and data management, and STATA for micro (taxpayer, household) data analysis.
- Assist in preparing analytical and monitoring reports.
Reporting and Outputs
- The NA is supervised by and reporting to the GIZ MIP Project Leader.
- The NA will work both at MIP and MINECOFIN and will be supervised for day-to-day operations at MINECOFIN by the Head of the Tax Policy Department.
Qualifications and professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, and proven solid understanding of tax policy/administration, tax incentives, and the related legal framework;
- Ability to articulate taxation concepts clearly in oral and written forms; and to document technical work;
- Ability to analyze macro and micro tax- and taxpayer data; and fluency in Excel and STATA;
- Proficiency in English and strong English writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage with various stakeholders;
- At least  year of relevant work experience; experience in analytical role in taxation in Rwanda is an asset.
- The NA will maintain all work material and information accessed at GIZ, MINECOFIN and Rwanda Revenue Authority as strictly confidential and discuss any disclosure with his/her supervisors.
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates, and references) until 17th October 2022 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. All attachments should be put together in one PDF file not larger than 2 MB. Please quote the job title in the subject.
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please let us know, if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to consider, when considering your application.
Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali,
GIZ reserves all rights!