Purpose of Job
To provide strategic communication guidance to build a good image of the Pan-African Parliament and promote increased visibility of its objectives and activities.
· Develops, reviews and implements the PAP communication and branding strategies.
· Manages the Communication and Media Unit’s Work Programme and Budget.
· Builds and promotes a good image of the Pan-African Parliament in alignment to the AU Agenda 2063.
· Spearheads advocacy and public campaigns continent-wide in favor of the PAP’s vision, mission and strategic plan and for the purpose of popularizing the PAP within Africa and in the world.
· Organizes and presides over media briefings and other speaking engagements at local and international events.
· Organizes media interviews for the Bureau, Members of the Pan African Parliament, and occasionally for the Clerk of Parliament.
· Develops and maintains networks with National and International partners, all National Parliaments of the African Union Member States and Heads of media institutions, etc.
· Regularly monitors communication efforts to ensure maximum return on investment.
· Manages the PAP website.
· Develops and supervises the implementation of the PAP social media strategy.
· Drafts speeches and position papers for the PAP Secretariat Management.
· Produces Media Plans and Press Releases.
· Manages the Broadcasting facility and supervises the Broadcast Team.
• Implements and manages a communication strategy to advance PAP objectives and initiatives.
• Provides strategic guidance on the communication activities of PAP including coordination, advocacy and communication strategies, planning and implementation.
• Develops and disseminates holistic messages targeted to different stakeholders.
• Works closely with the Bureau Office, Information Technology, AU Directorate of Information & Communication, the PAP Webmaster and Committee Clerks to develop and/or update the information, communication and knowledge management strategy based on PAP’s strategic plan.
• Develops materials to compellingly communicate evidence and lead new approaches to creates and distributes multi-media content including the use of social media;
• Drafts all external communications and keeps the PAP website updated.
• Initiates and/or sustains professional relationship with key stakeholders/constituencies.
• Drafts development partner engagement plan including development of communication materials and a relationship development plan to meet with and engage development partners.
• Participates in the Crisis Management Group as the media expert and contributes to developing media strategies in response to crises that have a potential to impact our brand and reputation.
• Works with Committee Clerks, Goodwill Ambassadors, PAP International Relations Office and the Policy Officer, Resource Mobilization Officer to identify highest-priority areas requiring funding support to communicate to development partners
• Works with Regional and National Parliaments to develop materials to compellingly communicate the work and achievements of the PAP.
• Provides communications support to PAP statutory and non-statutory meetings including special events/workshops/meetings and conferences.
• Provides editorial advice, statements and replies to frequently asked questions for Senior Management and Parliamentarians.
• Monitors events and analyzes documents to identify trends, opportunities and risks and prepare appropriate PAP action plans or responses.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• A Master’s degree or its equivalent in Communications, Journalism, Broadcasting, Public and Media Relations or related field, with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant work experience in the area of corporate communication, journalism, advocacy with at least three (3) years at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
• A Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with ten (10) years of experience and at least three (3) at a supervisory level in an international organisation.
• The successful candidate is expected to be creative and have the ability to interact harmoniously and effectively in a multi-cultural environment with colleagues from diverse disciplines, perspectives, countries and cultures.
• Possess excellent interpersonal, networking, negotiation and communication skills.
• He/she must have the ability to make objective decisions and resolve problems, exercising the highest sense of responsibility in the handling of confidential and sensitive issues.
• Ability to contribute to strategic thinking with a view to improving media and communication services to all PAP stakeholders.
• Ability to work under pressure, setting priorities and managing multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Have skills and experience in the production and distribution of printed publications as well as audio-visual and e-content development.
• High ethical standards, integrity and a deep sense of fairness.
• Good knowledge of the African Union system.
Teamwork and Collaboration..
Foster Accountability Culture..
Communicating with Influence:
Analytical Thinking and Problem Solving
Job Knowledge and information sharing..
Drive for Results
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 37,453.00 (P3 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 21,832.68 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 24 October, 2022
Only candidates who have met all the requirements of the post and have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only applications registered online with a complete curriculum vitae (CV) attached will be considered.
The Africa Union is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply