Vacancy announcement Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Advisor for Skills for Economic Transformation in Rwanda (Eco Emploi 5)
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federally owned international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. GIZ has worked in Rwanda for over 30 years.
The primary objectives between the Government of Rwanda and the Federal Republic of Germany are poverty reduction and promotion of sustainable development. To achieve these objectives, GIZ Rwanda is active in the sectors of Decentralization and Good Governance, Economic Development and Employment Promotion, Energy and ICT (Information and Communications Technology).
The module “Skills for Economic Transformation in Rwanda” is the fifth phase of the Programme “Promotion of the Economy and Employment” (Eco Emploi).
The module builds on the achievements of the previous phases and continues to follow the integrated approach for job creation. But the new phase will focus even more on strengthening the competitiveness of SMEs by contributing to the institutional development of qualified training and TVET offers, linking private sector and TVET system, building a supportive environment for SMEs and empowering women to participate in the economy.
The Programme follows a holistic value chains approach. The selected focus value chains are wood and complementary trades (like metal, glass and other crafts products).
The project component Improvement of TVET Quality is one element of the new organizational structure of the Programme. The component will contribute considerably to the achievement of output indicator 2: “The quality of vocational education and training for light industrial manufacturing has improved.” The achievement of the component’s activities requires a continuous and close cooperation with selected stakeholders and political partners like MINEDUC, RTB and RP and others. By working closely together with the other two components of the Programme as well as with the field offices in Rubavu and Huye, the component will furthermore contribute to the overall strengthening of institutional capacities, Women Economic Empowerment as well as to strengthening the competitiveness of MSMEs by building a better link between TVET and private sector.
It is with this background that Skills for Economic Transformation Rwanda is searching for one candidate for the position of TVET Advisor who will report to the Head of Component.
Fixed Term: 31.12.2025
The TVET Advisor performs the following responsibilities and tasks:
- Independent Implementation of TVET related activities under guidance of the Head of Component.
- Stakeholder management in the TVET Sector,
Contribution to the quality improvement of the Rwandan TVET System
- Coordination with other Development Partners in the Sector and the relevant political and private sector partners
- Representing Eco-Emploi at meetings, workshops and conferences
- Accompanying of the consultancies that will be assigned with the implementation which includes writing of concept notes, terms of reference, position papers and reports, as well as management of consultancies and partnerships.
- Technical support to the preparation and development of a B-Tech curriculum in the Wood / Crafts Sector including ToT activities
Ensure the link with private sector development and labour market intervention
- Elaborate in a team effort with the Head of Component an organisational plan that reflects the integrated approach of job creation
- Follow up and further development of the activities the programme had in the area of workplace learning (placing of interns, development of guidelines for in company instructors etc.)
- Strategic advise on the transfer from school to work (e.g. career guidance, entrepreneurship support)
- Ensure the close cooperation with other programme components and the field offices.
- Coordinate the interlinkage with other programmes and service packages in the cluster “Training and Sustainable Growth for Decent Jobs”
- Perform other duties and tasks at request of the Head of Component and / or the Management Team.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
Qualifications and professional experience
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant working experience in TVET, Private Sector Development or Labour Market Analytics.
- University Degree in a relevant field.
- Expertise and interest in the field of Private Sector Development.
- Ideally familiar with processes and strategy of GIZ or a comparable institution
Other knowledge and additional competences
- Be dedicated, reliable team player. Good understanding of the local context and intercultural skills as well as a sound awareness of gender issues.
- Well organized and work independently.
- Able to familiarize yourself quickly with new fields of activity and personally characterized by intercultural competence, high networking skills as well as excellent communication skills.
- Think and act strategically and analytically; ability to grasp new concepts rapidly and prioritise key topics.
- Open-minded towards digital applications and confident in using all MS Office programmes.
- Able to communicate fluently in English and Kinyarwanda (spoken and written); additionally, knowledge of French and / or German is an asset.
Interested candidates should submit their application (motivation letter, updated CV, certificates and references); until 30th November 2022 at 4:00 PM, by e-mail to email@example.com. All attachments should be put together in one PDF file not larger than 2 MB. Please quote the job title in the subject.
GIZ is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified candidates. This includes the provision of reasonable accommodation, if needed, in order to participate in the job application and interview process and to perform essential job functions. Please let us know, if you have any particular requirements should you be invited for assessment/interview or that you wish us to consider, when considering your application.
Women and persons with disabilities are particularly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for test and interview.
GIZ Office Rwanda
KN 41 St. / Nr.17, Kiyovu
P.O. Box 59, Kigali,
GIZ reserves all rights!