Open to Internal and External Candidates
|Position Title||:||Operations Assistant Team leader (Field Support)|
|Organization Unit||: Operations|
|Duty Station||:||Kigali, Rwanda|
|Classification||: General Service Staff, Grade G5 (UN salary Scale for|
|Type of Appointment||: One year Fixed-term, with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||: As soon as possible|
|Reference Code||:||VN 2022/24 -RW|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the chief of mission, general supervision of the Operations Manager and direct supervision of the Senior Operations Assistant Field Support, the successful candidate will be responsible for carrying-out the following duties and responsibilities in relation to Operations in Kigali, Rwanda.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit centre, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation. As required, monitor and guide teams of Operations Clerks and Operations Assistants in completing field support activities.
- In coordination with the Senior Operations Assistant Field Support, lead Field Support Teams as they perform Transit Centre services , as well as perform airport services when required, such as providing custodial care of travel documentation; verifying identities and documentation, including exit permissions, visas, tickets and other items in the travel bag; assisting with airport formalities, including flight arrivals, curb-side assistance, check-in, luggage formalities, immigration procedures, security screening systems and customs clearance; escorting arriving individuals to ground transportation and departing individuals to their gates; visually confirming flights have departed; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and, as needed, sending notifications using relevant systems.
- Lead Field Support Teams as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities, including upon arrival with sign-in, verification of identity, orientation, food and non-food items and room assignments; during their stay with food and non-food items, instructions, briefings, activities and resolution of issues; and upon departure for medical appointments, return travel or onward travel with briefings, luggage support and transition to transportation. Enter and update relevant data in the appropriate systems and ensure vulnerable individuals are assisted in a manner that ensures their safety, security and comfort; report all issues immediately to the appropriate supervisor(s).
- Assist in the coordination of timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations. Work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
- Work with units and departments and beneficiaries on pre-departure formalities including but not limited to travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Assist with daily discussions with beneficiaries on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Keep all posters and informational messages up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
- Provide assistance at transit centres and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or supervisors if issues arise.
- Lead the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centres and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, ensuring the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and providing relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Provide selection mission support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centres, camps, consolidation points and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
- Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Senior Operations Assistant Field Support and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues requiring their attention.
- Alert Senior Operations Assistant Field Support or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partnersPerform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with three years relevant work experience required, or
- High school diploma/certificate with five years of working experience.
- Prior Movement Operations or transportation experience is a strong advantage; and,
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet
- Camp Management experience
Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda, French and Swahili is an added advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Accountability – Meets deadline, cost, and quality requirements for outputs
- Client Orientation – Identifies and monitors changes in the needs of clients, including donors, governments, and project beneficiaries;
- Continuous Learning – Keeps abreast of developments in own professional area
- Communication – Clearly communicates, and listens to feedback on, changing priorities and procedures;
- Creativity and Initiative – Proactively develops new ways to resolve problems
- Leadership and Negotiation – Presents goals as shared interests;
- Planning and Organizing – Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others;
- Professionalism – Masters subject matter related to responsibilities;
- Teamwork – Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment;
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com by at the latest, referring to this advertisement. not later than 9th December 2022
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
IOM Rwanda will only accept applications along with updated CV (Nationality, Education, Experience including responsibilities) and an application letter (not more than one page).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.