Open to Internal and External Candidates Only
|Position Title||:||Senior Operations Assistant|
|Duty Station||:||IOM Kigali, Rwanda|
|Classification||:||General Service Staff, Grade G6 (UN salary Scale for GS staff)|
|Type of Appointment||:||One Year fixed term, Twelve (12) months with possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||:||As soon as possible|
|Closing Date||:||09 December 2022|
|Reference Code||:||VN2022/23 – RW|
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
|IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.|
Under the overall supervision of the chief of mission, the general supervision of the Operations Manager and the direct supervision of Operations officer, the Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for supervising movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of eight staff members undertaking field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation, including supporting staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of field support activities.
- Coordinate the efficient and effective management of airport services, including care and verification of travel documentation; assistance with airport formalities; escorts for arriving and departing individuals; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and sending notifications using relevant systems. Schedule daily work for Field Support staff, ensuring adequate coverage for all flight arrivals and departures based on advanced booking notifications (ABNs) and onward movements, and ensure staff have adequate power and IT availability to complete their work. Handle all urgent issues as they occur and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with IOM management.
- Coordinate staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities throughout their stay. Coordinate with Operations Officer to maintain an organized flow of individuals and their luggage through arrival and departure procedures at the facility; track relevant information regarding flight data and ensure team members are updated on departure times, delays and cancellations; work with staff to ensure luggage and medical checks are organized in an efficient manner; under the supervision of Operations Officer , create the weekly shift schedule and assign tasks, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a safe, secure and clean environment; report regularly to management on long-stayers and other relevant issues, employing creative problem solving as needed to handle problems. In coordination with Operations Officer, handle financial paperwork.
- Coordinate timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations, ensuring staff members work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
- Coordinate pre-departure formalities including but not limited to counselling, travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Schedule and supervise daily discussions with individuals staying in facilities on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Ensure all posters and informational messages are up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
- Provide oversight at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or management if issues arise.
- Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, supervising staff as they ensure the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and preparing and supervising relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and that staff members arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Coordinate and/or provide pre-screening, pre-departure orientation and selection mission support, medical processing support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points, IOM facilities and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
- Under the close supervision of Operations Officer, liaise as needed with other Teams and Units in IOM Rwanda and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Operations Officer and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
- As needed, and under the close supervision of Operations, assist with financial activities related to movement operations, such as petty cash payments and reports.
- Train Field Support Team members as needed to manage their work, conduct quality assurance, and to monitor and guide other Field Support staff members and activities efficiently and effectively.
- Alert Operations Officer or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Six years of working experience with secondary [high school] education; four years of working experience with bachelor’s degree.
Prior Movement Operations, transportation-related and/or management experience a strong advantage.
- Strong computer skills- Word-Excel and internet
- Camp Management
- Fluency in English and Kinyarwanda is required (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of French and Swahili is an advantage.
The candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – All IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Fosters a sense of team spirit by developing a shared understanding, accountability and enthusiasm for the team’s work.
- Delivering results: Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Encourages knowledge-sharing across units/departments and ensures that knowledge is captured, recorded and disseminated appropriately.
- Accountability: Plans and organizes work with a clear and deliberate focus, ensuring commitments are easily identified and progress is widely communicated.
- Communication: Seeks to share information with others, with due respect for diversity and the confidentiality of specific sensitive information.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
This application is open to all Rwandese citizen and any other foreign national as long as such an applicant has a right of residence and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application (IOM will not be responsible in securing such Visas or authorisations from the Government of Rwanda, any applicant of foreign nationality must provide authentic certification from Government of Rwanda in regard to right of residency and right to work in Rwanda at the time of application).
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications to email@example.com. not later than 9th December
The subject of your e-mail MUST indicate the reference code, the Position title as well as candidate’s names
IOM Rwanda will only accept applications along with updated CV (Nationality, Education, Experience including responsibilities) and an application letter (not more than one page).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.