PROCUREMENT ASSISTANT (FOOD SAFETY AND QUALITY CAPACITY STRENGTHENING), SC-5
Position Title: Procurement Assistant (Food Safety and Quality Capacity Strengthening), SC-5
No of Openings: 1
Contract Type: Service Contract (SC)
Position Grade: SC-5
Unit/Division: Programme and Policy
Duration: 1 year (renewable) depending on performance and availability of funds
Duty Station: WFP Field Office Huye, Rwanda
Closing Date: 17th October 2023
Provide capacity strengthening, operational support, monitoring and evaluation, and training focused on perishable and non-perishable food items for school feeding. This position will support districts (Nyamagabe and Nyaruguru) and schools in those districts, both in oversight and providing capacity strengthening on food safety practices and procedures for school feeding.
This includes ensuring that fresh foods and food products (including animal-source foods) at school level as well as commodities at district level (rice, maize flour, beans, oil, sugar) meet the established standards of quality and safety set by national regulatory authorities, inspecting the workplace for compliance and identifying any areas of concern, investigating customer complaints, and preparing reports on food quality and safety.
This position will be based in WFP Huye Field Office, and the incumbent will work closely with WFP Procurement staff, and the School Feeding team and the Food Safety and Quality Officer in the Country Office. The incumbent will be under the overall supervision of the Head of Field office and will report to the Logistics Officer (Food Technologist).
Provide technical expertise and guidance to schools for improved food handling and food safety practices in food storage and management in school feeding programmes.
- Assist in developing and maintaining a quality assurance programme, ensuring that food products meet the established standards of quality and food safety
- Prepare training programs and conduct training courses for staff in school kitchen on food handling, storage, and food serving activities, i.e., equipment, utensils, and dishes, cooks and meals, and good cleaning and sanitation practices at schools.
- Support in education or capacity building on food quality and safety for school feeding in Nyamagabe and Nyaruguru districts.
- Undertake activities related to training need assessment, and provision of training courses around quality and safety, food handling and storage, especially cereal products, pulses, roots, tubers, legumes, nuts, fruits, vegetables, milk/dairy products, salts, oil, and water.
- Undertake food supply and store quality audits to identify non-conformities and propose corrective actions required (arrange, coordinate, and participate in external quality audits)
- Support schools in food procurement activities and advise on food handling, transport and storage of perishable and non-perishable food commodities.
- Conceptualize awareness, training, and technical assistance based on need assessment, organize, and conduct awareness campaigns, and technical assistance as per the established plan.
- Contribute to building the capacity of smallholder farmers and local millers in the districts to supply the National School Feeding Programme, with regard to food quality and safety, as well as food fortification standards to comply with when supplying schools.
- Undertake impact assessment of training courses and technical assistance in the school feeding programme.
- Follow up the implementation of proposed corrective actions and recommendations after a quality audit, and timely report on the progress made.
- Supporting WFP and partners in recommending areas of improvement to implementing relevant activities regarding food quality and safety.
- Ensure that all records and documentation related to the role are properly kept and maintained.
- Contribute to the development of sampling plans and procedures for testing product quality/ quality control purposes.
- Participate in quality management system reviews and promote quality and food safety policies to all personnel.
- Review and report the principle causes of quality loss and non-conformance
DELIVERABLES AT THE END OF THE CONTRACT
- Quarterly inspection and quality audit reports
- Capacity strengthening trainings to stakeholders
- Lessons learnt report after one year
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPRIENCE REQUIRED
Food Science and Technology, or development studies, nutrition, M&E and education or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional related work experience and/or trainings/courses
At least 5 years of work experience in Food safety and quality, food supply chain, school feeding programmes, capacity strengthening processes and/or other related fields.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Demonstrated technical experience in designing, providing capacity strengthening related to food quality and safety, food handling and storage, especially cereal products and fruits and vegetables.
- Experience in coordinating and assisting with technical training and overall competency to management and employees with regards to food preparation, food serving, staff hygiene and behavior, food safety program, pest control, and hygiene /cleaning practices.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge in food security, nutrition, food quality and safety, as well as school feeding programs in Rwanda.
- Skills in maintenance and coordination of food quality and safety programs to maintain compliance with requirements.
- Ability to write clearly, and strong communication and presentation skills
Must have fluency in English, and Kinyarwanda
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
This position is open for Rwandan Nationals only
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
17th October 2023