About You and The Role
We are seeking to hire a technically skilled Database Administrator who will be capable of holding this role of great responsibility. In this role, you’ll be the first respondent to database problems that arise and carry out periodic maintenance and troubleshooting.
To ensure success as a database administrator, you should be an excellent problem-solver and communicator fluent in most data manipulation languages. Ultimately, a top-notch database administrator should have extensive knowledge of the databases under their administration and display sound technical skills and administrative aptitude.
What you will do:
- Database Infrastructure & Security – Assist with the creation, deployment and maintenance of databases in both development and live service environments.
- Communication – Clear and timely communications (verbal and written) to colleagues and internal customers.
- Service Delivery – Assist colleagues in achieving agreed service standards by maintaining database services to the required operational levels.
- Standards and Working Practices – Ensure that team processes and standards are adhered to accurately to ensure that the expected levels of service quality and performance are maintained.
- Perform regular database maintenance activities by following internal processes (data loads, data fixes, schema updates, database copies, software installs/upgrades/patches etc)
- Daily database performance monitoring, optimization, and tuning to ensure maximum availability and high performance.
- Providing SQL expertise, proposing design recommendations and optimization for our various databases.
- Replicate existing database environments for various testing activities.
- Assess the impact of system failures and proactively take corrective measures to ensure acceptable system performance, availability, and recovery. Assist to determine root cause to database problems and provide solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Maintaining database backup and recovery infrastructure.
You will be a great fit if:
- You hold BS Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field preferred.
- Minimum 1-3 years of IT operations with strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
- Minimum 1-3 years of PostgreSQL environment. Fast Paced OLTP environment experience preferred.
- You have knowledge of reporting and query tools and practices.
- You have strong technical documentation skills.
- You have experience with end-to-end efforts to design, develop, and implement data warehousing and business intelligence solutions.
- You have experience with backups, restores, and recovery models.
- You have experience in database capacity planning and production support.
- You have experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems using native & third party monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- You have experience maintaining database security, integrity, and availability.
- You have experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Experience working with database engines PostgreSQL, MongoDB including in-memory engines Redis and Elasticsearch.
Benefits and compensation:
Employee savings plan
- A voluntary saving scheme plan where the company matches your savings up to 5% of your Net salary.
Mental health support
- Access to mental health support and therapy sessions with licensed therapists through a renowned mental wellness platform.
- Medical cover for you and your family that includes access to dental care, ophthalmology services, maternity, chronic diseases, congenital malformation, and more, in Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, and India. Note that, as required by the law, a 10% co-pay is required from the employee on outpatient services only.
Learning and development (L&D)
- We encourage self-driven professionals who want to learn and grow their knowledge and experience. A budget is allocated to you to access your professional development opportunities.
- Breakfast, lunch, and beverages (tea, coffee) at work.
- Annual fitness membership at pre-selected good-quality facilities across Kigali.
- Interest-free salary advances.
- Annual paid leave – 21 days.
- Annual performance bonus based on performance and company profitability.
- 13th cheque equal to your net salary paid in December based on the joining date.
- Hybrid work Policy and flexible hours.
Please note that the salary for this position is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and will be discussed during the interview process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing a positive interview experience for every candidate. We’re on a mission to change our continent through technology and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds, nationalities, and walks of life.
Our head office is based in Kigali, Rwanda.